Tuesday 16 April 2013

What was her name?

We have just celebrated Easter, and for many people it was a  wonderful time of being off work, children went on Easter Egg Hunts and the Easter Bunny is seen all over the show. If you were fortunate enough to bribe or emotionally blackmail someone into buying you a Lindt Bunny .....great.  I was not successful in my attempts, but gorged on the old standby, the marshmallow egg. YUM!!

I also, for the first time,  focussed on where the Easter Celebration originated from, and it was most interesting.
Here is what I learnt: 'Easter was originally the Celebration of Ishtar, the Assyrian and Babelonian Godess of Fertility and sex.After Constantine decided to Christianise the Empire,it was changed to represent Jesus.'

For Christians this Celebration is pivotal to their Faith and some will not indulge in the frivolity of Easter Eggs and silly bunnies. They feel affronted by this' debasing' of the Crucifixion and subsequent rising from the dead by Christ. As a believer, I do respect their opinion, but I honestly just love the chocolate!

Whatever your belief or opinion, here is what I encountered over Easter time.

The morning after Good Friday,  I was awake very early. It was a beautiful and breezy-fresh morning and not quite light yet. All was well and I enjoyed the serenity and quiet of God's New Day.....until I read a small article on a blogsite. The article would probably go largely unnoticed in South Africa, as we are subjected to this kind of depravity on a regular basis. An image popped up......

This was not a South African girl. She was at most 19 years old, naked and on her back with her legs splayed ,...... a piece of wood protruding from her vagina.

She was dead, and I pray and believe that she went to her Heaven.
 Her name was not provided.  Were they trying to preserve her privacy? Really?

If you take into account the history of the celebration of Easter, this girl becomes (in my mind) a parody of the Godess of Fertility. Broken, degraded, tortured......

She was someone's child, maybe someone's sibling, she had a name and she had dreams and aspirations.

 She had a story...........

 I was overcome by the spiritual implication of the desecration of something so beautiful and alive as this young woman.
 The deed, the motivation behind it.......the Evil that came out to play, because the Evil was welcomed in by someone..  Did the perpetrator wish to make a statement? Why? Where is this person now? Does the scene replay in the obviously disturbed mind of the killer?
Where is this child's mother? Was this girl someone's mother?

 I may never know the truth behind it, but I hold on to my Truth that Christ died for her, a brutalised human being, and He died for the killer as well.

Spread the Love and Keep your Lights on****
The Lord's Prayer played by Marcus Miller on Clarinet is like a balm to the Soul**

No comments:

Post a Comment