Saturday 21 January 2012

I pay respect - Jonothan Butler (Love this man)

Yes, its been a while!!  Holiday is over and work started, hitting the ground running as my friend says. And with that comes the reality of the daily grind we are all subjected to, that is, if you are lucky enough to have a job. I am doubly blessed, as I actually enjoy what I'm doing. No, I don't always enjoy the people I do it with, but I'm sure I'm possibly a major irritant in another person's life at work to- deal!!
 This is the year I will drag myself into this century and overcome my irrational, digital angst. I am proud of this achivement and feel there should be at least a moment of silence, as I am, as we say, really dof when it comes to said digital world.

Suffice to say, I am trying.....

So, I might not be clued up with modern technology, but it doesn't take much savvy to operate face book and whatever social network presents itself. What I do find challenging about facebook, for example, is the subject matter, especially with quite young people, that they discuss and put out there.

I was absolutely horrified to read a status of a young man that I know. This guy spent years in a very expensive, religious private school. He is extremely good-looking, good athlete, and hot yes, BUT dear heaven!!  I reacted to the post by lashing out at him and telling him to go drag his knuckles in a cave somewhere. Might I add that even his peers were shocked and disgusted. So, it wasn't just age pulling rank from my side!
When reading other posts from even younger people, I was vindicated by the anger from  girls towards guys that think that their crude sexual jokes and statements are in any way attractive or amusing. They feel humiliated and disgusted.

And yes, I know that some girls do it as well. And its just not cool at all. It preturbes me greatly that in an age that is supposed to be so sophisticated and technologically advanced, with information freely available on any subject under the sun, we somehow can't manage the basic principles of respect toward each other. It seem that the war of the sexes are raging more intensely than ever. South Africa has horrific rape statistics, and so many people have been victims of horrendous crimes, yet we still fuel the fires of hate and assumptions, and it more than often manifests itself in depraved sexual behaviour and immense cruelty.

On the  other hand, its fascinating to read all the religious and spiritual posts that are written, also by young people. It seems that there is a war raging, with definite sides becoming quite extreme and dedicated to their beliefs or disbeliefs, as the case might be.  Many older people share information on issues and lively debates ensue, sans the inevitable american slang that gets mangled into diatribes that must make Martin Luther King spin in his grave. 

Im not suggesting that we all take up permanent residence in a Bless Me Club, but a sense of time and place and some old-fashioned respect and manners go a looooong way!!! (Whether you are religious or not.)
One might even say that it is the ultimate fore-play. Do you honestly expect to have a loving and sizzling relationship with someone if you are spewing forth filth all day long to your partner and whoever you feel like insulting, just because you can? Its only a matter of time before you start projecting all this vitriol onto the people closest to you. 

RESPECT!!!!

Spread the love***

No comments:

Post a Comment